Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bowl Predictions: Preseason

Every week I will be putting up an updated bowl prediction out there.  It will include all the BCS and Big Ten bowls.  Every few weeks I will include all of the bowls.  The selection order for the BCS is
1) National Championship
2) National Championship
3) Bowl that lost a representative to the first NC pick
4) Bowl that lost a representative to the second NC pick
5) Sugar Bowl
6) Orange Bowl
7) Fiesta Bowl
Remember that the Rose Bowl, if it loses the Big Ten or Pac 10 representative must take the first non-AQ school. 



BCS National Championship: Ohio State v. Florida
Florida just has too much momentum and emotion this season to not make it to the National Championship Game.  I have them facing the Buckeyes which will be a reporters wet dream since the storylines surrounding a rematch in Tempe are endless.
Rose Bowl Game: Boise State vs. Oregon
Boise is almost a lock for an undefeated season but I don't think any of their opponents (including VT) will give them the kind of push they will need for a BCS title birth.  Thus with Ohio State in the National Title game the Broncos head to Pasadena for the Blount Punch classic.  Should be a great matchup with the Ducks out for revenge and respect.

Sugar Bowl: Nebraska vs. Auburn
This will surely ellicite some negative reactions but I am very high on Auburn this year.  I don't see Nebraska getting jumped by any other at large teams because they travel so well but this could easily be the worst 10-11 win team we have had in recent memory. 

Orange Bowl: Georgia Tech v. South Florida
Nebraska going to New Orleans puts the Orange Bowl in a predicament.  They could either host a rematch of last years game or choose the Big East Champion.  I think the lattter is more likely since after last season when they got Iowa while handeling the Fiesta Bowl TCU.  Luckily, with South Florida winning the Big East they can take comfort in the fact that the Bulls fanbase will be close enough to give them some decent fan turnout. 

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma v. Iowa
I may not be as high on the Sooners as Phil Steele but I still think they have a better chance of winning the South than Texas.  From there I think they make short work of the Huskers to wind up in Tempe facing Big Ten runner-up Iowa.  I realize I am splitting my bets with the Hawkeyes (I called for them to win the Big Ten on several occasions) but right now I am sticking with this as my bowl precidtion.

Capital One Bowl: Wisconsin v. Alabama
The Badgers are the consensus number three in the Big Ten and I see no reason to disagree.  The Tide will finish just behind Auburn in the SEC West but Nick Saban will have a bit more scrutiny without a BCS Bowl.

Outback Bowl: Michigan State v. Georgia
The Spartans could almost be a ten win team this fall and even have a shot at jumping the Badgers for the Capital One Bowl.  However I think MSU is a near lock for Tampa  and a rematch with their last January bowl opponent.
Gator Bowl: Penn State v. Arkansas
The Nittany Lions have plenty of talent but so much of it is unproven.  I think they lose all three of their tough road games and are upset once more (Northwestern and Michigan State seem most likely).  Penn State's sizeable traveling fanbase could be enough for them to jump MSU for the Outback Bowl but right now I have them losing to the Spartans which makes that unlikely. 


Insight Bowl: Purdue v. Missouri
The Boilermakers make it back to the post season to face a solid Missouri squad.  The Tigers will come in with a better record after feasting on the dregs of the Big XII North but this should be a fairly evenly matched game.  All of my bottom three Big Ten bowl teams are pretty close together but I think Purdue has the best sales pitch and they get the top nod in the bowl pecking order.
Texas Bowl: Northwestern v. Kansas
The Wildcats are too well coached to miss a bowl game but I am doubting their ability to get beyond 7-5.  I doubt they can jump Purdue but they shouldn't fall too much further.  Kansas will be rebuilding so this might be the Cats best chance of a bowl win in years.

Dallas Football Classic: Indiana v. Temple
I have the Hoosiers just sneaking in to the bowl picture and grabbing the last of the Big Ten bids.  The Big XII normally supplies the other team but I don't think they will have nine bowl teams.  I am hopeful that Al Golden's boys get passed up by the MAC bowls but if they don't this could be Northern Illinois.
Little Caesers Pizza Pizza Bowl: Western Michigan v. Southern Miss
The Big Ten will once again not have enough bowl eligible teams to fill this game and the Broncos will be stuck hosting the Golden Eagles oout of Conference USA.  The Pizza Pizza bowl is not required to select the MAC champion so I think they go with the Broncos in an effort to get the closest fan base.



No comments:

Post a Comment